Welcome to GOcats’ documentation!¶
GOcats is an Open Biomedical Ontology (OBO) parser and categorizing utility–currently specialized for the Gene Ontology (GO)–which can help scientists interpret large-scale experimental results by organizing redundant and highly- specific annotations into customizable, biologically-relevant concept categories. Concept subgraphs are defined by lists of keywords created by the user.
- Currently, the GOcats package can be used to:
- Create subgraphs of GO which each represent a user-specified concept.
- Map specific, or fine-grained, GO terms in a Gene Annotation File (GAF) to an arbitrary number of concept categories.
- Explore the Gene Ontology graph within a Python interpreter.
Please cite the GitHub repository until our manuscript is accepted for publication: https://github.com/MoseleyBioinformaticsLab/GOcats.git
GOcats runs under Python 3.4+ and is available through python3-pip. Install via pip or clone the git repo and install the following dependencies and you are ready to go!
Install on Linux¶
Dependencies should be automatically installed using this method. It is strongly recommended that you install with this method. .. code:: bash
pip3 install gocats
GitHub Package installation¶
Make sure you have git installed:
cd ~/ git clone https://github.com/MoseleyBioinformaticsLab/GOcats.git
Install on Windows¶
Windows version not yet available; sorry about that.
Subgraphs can be created from the command line.
python3 -m gocats create_subgraphs /path_to_ontology_file ~/GOcats/gocats/exampledata/examplecategories.csv ~/Output --supergraph_namespace=cellular_component --subgraph_namespace=cellular_component --output_termlist
Mapping files can be found in the output directory:
- GC_content_mapping.json_pickle # A python dictionary with category-defining GO terms as keys and a list of all subgraph contents as values.
- GC_id_mapping.json_pickle # A python dictionary with every GO term of the specified namespace as keys and a list of category root terms as values.
GAF mappings can also be made from the command line:
python3 -m gocats categorize_dataset YOUR_GAF.goa YOUR_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY/GC_id_mapping.json_pickle YOUR_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY MAPPED_GAF_NAME.goa
Made available under the terms of The Clear BSD License. See full license in LICENSE.
The Clear BSD License
Copyright (c) 2017, Eugene W. Hinderer III, Hunter N.B. Moseley All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted (subject to the limitations in the disclaimer below) provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED LICENSES TO ANY PARTY’S PATENT RIGHTS ARE GRANTED BY THIS LICENSE. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.